15 June 2008

Calculation Beta


"Not everything that counts is countable, and not everything that's countable, counts." Albert Einstein

Calculation is about adding, subtracting, multiplying, and/or dividing numbers in order to obtain an outcome. It is a never-ending process, and has always been a part of life no matter how people do not want to do math.

In fact, people have to do a lot of calculations every day. When should I get up? Should I do it now, or later? How many words should I write for the report? How many tasks should I complete for the day? How many bottles of beer should I take during happy hour? When should I go to bed? How many this and that...

It seems that everything can be calculated, even love...

Do I love her/him more than s/he loves me? If I love her/him more, will I get hurt eventually? Should I find someone who loves me more than I love that someone...?

Love is blind, which explains why there is love at first sight. Does love need a reason? If reason is ever required, then it is not love. Love is an emotional thing but definitely not rational. But, there is this formula of love: (x² + y² - 1)³ = x²y³. When plotted, this equation makes a heart-shaped curve.

However, not everything can accurately be calculated, especially love. Sometimes, the best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, cannot be touched, but can be felt in the heart.

No comments: